The A Travel Program To America | Young Leaders Fellowship 2024 is a unique leadership opportunity available to young people from all around the world between the ages of 18 and 26 who want to work on community initiatives related to economic security, health, and education. The one-year fellowship equips young people with the leadership skills, global citizenship, self-awareness, and vision-setting necessary to become change agents in their communities. The phases of the program are:
Virtual Community Needs Assessment
A thorough needs analysis and community mapping are conducted at the start of the fellowship. Young leaders will be given the resources and information they need to evaluate their community. This phase is conducted before the in-person training begins so that the young leaders will have a better knowledge of the requirements of the community. (1 month)
In-Person Vision Planning and Project Development
Participants come to the fellowship with an idea of a community issue they want to address. Vision planning is the process of transforming passion into a concrete, tangible plan for change.
Participants may learn why they are uniquely positioned to transform their community by putting their local challenges into a wider global context through the in-person training program, which features various speakers, seminars, events, and facilitated group work. The tools and abilities that may be used to create an actionable strategy will also be decided by the participants. (10 days)
Virtual | Project Implementation & Alumni Mentorship
Young leaders are matched with alumni mentors who will assist them in the in-person program in developing and carrying out their actionable goals. These mentors have successfully completed the fellowship program after completing it. Alumni mentors provide participants with assistance throughout the year by organizing quarterly “hangouts” and continual virtual communication.
Prior to the commencement of the program, alumni mentors get specialized training to foster cultural competency and team-building among the varied group of young aders. ten months
Young Leaders Must:
- Demonstrate commitment to their community
- Identify a project in their community in the areas of education, health, or economic security
- Be between the ages of 18-26 at the start of the program (June 1, 2024)
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
- Commit to doing the Community Needs Assessment in June, attending the 10-day in-person program in July, and spending the following year aiming to execute their community project
- Have access to email and the internet to allow for consistent communication with the MCW Global Team and Young Leaders Fellowship alumni-mentor for the duration of the year-long program
- Adhere to Young Leaders Fellowship graduation guidelines (to be provided upon acceptance to the program)
- Be eligible for appropriate visa and travel documentation
- Submit a completed application on or before Sunday, November 12, 2023, 11:59 PM (NYC EST time)
2023 – 2024 TIMELINE
- October 13, 2023: Young Leaders Fellowship Application Opens
- November 12, 2023: Young Leaders Fellowship Application Closes
- December 4, 2023: First-round Decisions Sent Out; Shortlist Candidates Notified; Second-Round Application Opens
- December 15, 2023: Second Round Application Closes
- January 10 – 19, 2024: Interviews with Alumni
- January 26, 2024: Acceptances Sent Out
- February 2, 2024: Confirmation of Acceptances
- February 9, 2024: Confirmation of Visa Interview Date and Deposit
- June 1 – June 30, 2024: Community Needs Assessment
- July 9 – July 18, 2024: In-Person Training Program – Young Leaders Fellowship in New York, New York, and Burlington, Vermont;
- July 2024 – July 2025: The Entire Young Leaders Fellowship Duration
The application must be filled out in English.
Letters of recommendation and resume also need to be written in English. Any part of the application that is not written in English will not be read and be considered incomplete.
The application includes:
- General Information
- Essay Questions
- Identify an issue in your community that concerns you. How would you address this issue?
- Describe one time you have faced a challenge and used a leadership skill to come up with a solution.
- Your resume should not be more than 1 page. We suggest that it be prepared in Times New Roman, 12 font, with 1-inch margins.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Your letters should come from people who know your work ethic and commitment to your community. Friends and family members are discouraged from writing the letters of recommendation.
- Recommenders should state their name, position, and relationship to the applicant at the top of the letter.
- Liability Waiver
- At the end of the application, please review the terms and conditions
The 2024 Young Leaders Fellowship will take place in New York, New York, and Burlington, Vermont, from July 9 – 18, 2024. Accommodations will be provided by New York University in New York and Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont.
MCW requires all accepted participants to pay a $100 deposit fee by February 9, 2024. The deposit will be refunded to the participant in full on July 18, 2024, when they have successfully completed the in-person training program of the Fellowship.
The deposit is required to cover all costs MCW Global may incur should a participant cancel after March 1, 2024.
Payment can be made via Square or PayPal. If no payment is made by February 9, 2024, you will be considered to be no longer attending the Fellowship.
If Square or PayPal are not operational in your country/territory, please contact MCW Global.
Costs Covered by MCW
- International Economy Flights for international participants
- Domestic Economy flights for United States participants
- Housing from the evening of July 8 – July 18, 2024
- Three meals per day from July 9 – July 18, 2024
- Round Trip Travel from New York, New York to Burlington, Vermont
- Public Transportation to/from JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark Airports
Cost Not Covered by MCW
- Passport Fees
- Visa Fees
- In-Country Costs (travel to the airport, extra baggage fees, etc.)
Deadline for submission A Travel Program To America | Young Leaders Fellowship 2024
November 12, 2023.
How to apply?
- Apply for free via the direct link from here.
- Click on the word “Sign up” there.
- Register and fill out your information.